Monday, May 30, 2011

Harvest Monday

It's a bit late for Daphne's Dandelions Harvest Monday, but not too late! This weekend has been busy. On Saturday we prepared new beds and planted watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melons and squash. Today we hosted a memorial day picnic for almost 30 people. It was a great day.  We also watered today, and that felt kind of strange. It was the first time this season that we had to do a thorough watering of everything. It looks like lots more water will be required this week. Until we get our watering system installed, we're drawing water from the creek that runs through our property.

We had our biggest haul in strawberries. We're getting more than 4 pounds a day right now for a total of almost 32 pounds this week.What the kids don't eat, Bel freezes.
Q. James loves fresh strawberries. He's been by my side picking every day this week.

We harvested about 8 ounces of spinach.
Tasty spinach ravioli with marinara.

We harvested another pound of cauliflower, which Bel promptly froze for another day. We have about 10 more plants that are finally beginning to grow heads. We're still getting broccoli shoots every couple of days. Bel made broccoli cream soup and froze it for the winter. We harvested several romaine heads this week and made salads. Our heaviest head was 1 pound 4 ounces. It was a giant.

9 comments:

  1. My goodness...32 lbs of strawberries!! It's a good thing that you have a good garden helper! How many plants do you have?

    It sounds like you have had a very very good week in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin, I couldn't count the number of plants we have. They're in 3 rows, each row is around 25 feet long. But over the 3 years we've had them(we're now in our 4th), they've changed from rows into a full patch. The trick with strawberries, as we've learned, is to distinguish the old plants from the new and pull the old to make room for the new. They take a great deal of attention, but they're worth it! Thank you, it's been a good garden week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. I wish I had a fourth of your strawberry poundage! I've picked five. Not pounds, five berries!

    Strawberry smoothie pops anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! I wish my Strawberry patch prodcued that much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum spinach ravioli. And I'm with Granny. I'd take a fourth of your berry harvest. I just put my plants in this year and have to wait until July to start letting them set flowers and until next June for the spring bearers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie's Granny, If you've picked five then there's sure more to come. We'll be eating strawberry smoothie pops for sure!

    Allison at Novice Life the berries are definitely worth the extra labor. They only produce for a couple of weeks, so we sprint with them for a while and then they're done.

    Daphne, it was great spinach ravioli. Bel used won ton wraps to make them. I thought that was pretty clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great harvest! We don't have any strawberries. I just got my new beds in last year, and I think I'll be getting strawberries next year. Although after seeing your harvest, maybe I'll be bumping that up!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is so productive! What a brilliant idea to get ready and freeze some for winter already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dirt Lover, Thanks for posting. If you're willing to put in the extra effort, they sure are worth it!

    Malay-Kadazan, we definitely make good use of our freezers. Without them so much garden produce would go to waste.

    ReplyDelete