I'm really pleased because we made them of almost 100% recycled material -scrap wood, throw away window pains, free horse manure and composted yard waste. We spent a grand total of $50.00 to complete them!
|You can see how we pieced the scrap wood together. (Both frames are pictured.)|
Our soil concoction for the first frame is unusual (pictured below). We layered 2 feet of fresh horse manure, 6 inches of sand and then 6 inches of "potting soil" (which is essentially composted yard waste) into the frame. We're hoping the manure will get hot as is composts and warm the frame during the coming cold months. It's an idea Belle read about in one of her gazillion library books that pass through here. We also added a light to the frame that runs for about 3 hours a day just before sunrise. Thanks Robin for that suggestion. Our plants are growing!
|The horse farm|
|2 feet of hot manure in the bottom of the frame.|
|6 inches of sand to keep the germs away from our veggies.|
|Red leaf lettuces were begun under lights inside the house,|
|along with salsify, beets, one cabbage and a light.|