Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cold Frame Structures and Winter Spinach

I've had plenty of trouble with cold frames. I've tried recycled glass windows. They broke. I've used weather grade plastic sheeting. It tore. I've priced plexiglass. It's outrageous. A friend gave me a great tip. Use cattle fencing as a skeleton for weather grade plastic. You can pick it up at just about any farm store. It's is great! It bends to form a sloped rooftop causing the rain to roll away. It has a strong, 4 inch square pattern that protects the plastic sheeting. It's heavy so the lid stays put, even in strong wind storms. We love it. It's been our perfect solution!

Despite the snow and single digit temperatures, we're growing spinach and enjoying salads in February!

Dave's 2011 seeds -Viroflay Giant

cattle guard frame covered with weather grade plastic and extra light for the long winter nights


8 comments:

  1. So nice to see a post from you! Great tip on the cold frame tops. I didn't get around to putting my tops on this winter......it's been crazy around here! I did sow some seeds in the one cold frame. So, maybe we'll have some early greens and lettuce and then maybe not! Enjoy that winter spinach and tell Belle and the gang that we said hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to get a comment from you! I'm glad to hear you and "the Italian" are hanging in there.

      Delete
  2. So nice to see your post pop up in my feed! I love the idea of using cattle panels for supporting plastic protection on a cold frame. I use something similar although not a rigid as hoops to protect some greens from deer and cats. What kind of plastic do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to get a comment from you! I know that you already know my answer. I recommend the plastic that you can afford! If things are tight and you need a one season fix, go to Lowes. If you want it to last longer, look into higher grade stuff. Honestly, I'm not sure of the economic payoff. I do know our plants like to be covered!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I have an old window with intentions to make a cold frame some day with it, but maybe I will trash it and try your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used glass with two frames a couple years back. They both were broken. So far this new idea is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had cold frames on my mind so this was a timely post to read. It's both amazing and encouraging that you're still growing spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spinach finally succumbed to the weather! But we have lettuce growing inside the house. I can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete